Monday, December 13, 2010

Digital Photography 101: How To Take Better Pictures

Lots of people have told me that they are horrible at taking pictures and they wish they could be a better photographer. My response is always, you can be! Photography is all about trial and error. Taking a photo usually goes something like this in my head:

"OH! I like that over there. I am going to take a picture of it .....*click*.... ohkay, that looks like nothing..... let me try it this way...*click*..... and like this *click, click* and this way.....*click, click, click* annnd maybe that way *click*" and so on until I get the picture I want.

Thats me!
The two best things about Digital Photography are: one, you can take as many pictures as you want without wasting film/money, two, you can see exactly what your image looks like as soon as you take it. You're going to know if it is good or not right then, why not take that same picture in a slightly differently way until you get something you like. Now there are going to be times that no matter how many times you *click* you're not going to be able to find something, but thats OK. Good picture or not, every one you take is sending you on your way to taking better pictures

Picture Taking Tips:

  • Change your position, try taking the same picture up close and far away take a couple in-between too. Then try standing on a chair, or use the floor as your tri-pod. Also, make sure not every shot has your subject directly in the middle of  your image.
  • Natural light is the most beautiful light of all. It will always look better than a flash that is attached to your camera.
  • Check your borders. When I first started every time I took a picture I forced my eye around all the sides of the frame making sure there was nothing weird sticking in or something very important sticking out.  

Checking my image. 






Don't stress about being able to remember everything at once. Focus on one idea at a time. Once you have that mastered move on to the next and so on and so on. 

2 comments:

  1. like very much!!! can you post some photoshop photo effects tutorials next? or direct us to some step-by-steps of some of your favorites? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan- This is only the beginning. I promise.

    ReplyDelete